VEGAN TOMATO VEGGIE BEAN SOUP
Just start with a good quality veggie stock and you can create your own satisfying soup in a flash! Almost. Prepping and chopping veggies does require a small amount of time, but it's worth it. Try it! Experiment with your own combination of veggies and flavors.
- 1/2 tbsp medium-heat oil (I like to use Red Palm Oil)
- 1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 medium Carrots, chopped
- 3 small ripe Tomatoes (Romas are great), diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 32 oz - Vegetable Stock (preferably low-sodium & organic)
- 1 - 15 oz can Chick Peas (Garbanzo), drained and rinsed
- 1 - 15 oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- A pinch of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Fine Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Ripe Avocado, chopped
- Prep and chop all veggies as listed above.
- Heat a 5 quart dutch oven or large pot on medium-low heat. When the pot is heated, warm 1/2 a tbsp of Oil, then add the chopped Onion to the pot. Stir occasionally and allow the Onion to cook for about 5 mins. Then stir in the minced Garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Next add the chopped Carrots. Stir and allow the veggies to cook for another 5 minutes or until the carrots begin to soften just a bit.
- Now add the chopped Tomatoes, Yellow Bell Pepper, Tomato Paste, Ground Cumin, Chili Pepper, Crush Red Pepper Flakes and Oregano and cook for about 2 mins, stirring constantly.
- Next add the Garbanzo Beans, Black Beans, and Veggie Stock. Salt & Pepper to taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Place the lid on the pot and allow the soup to cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until the veggies have reached your desired tenderness.
- Serve topped with freshly chopped Avocado.
TIP: Another great topping is Roasted Sweet Potato! Just peel and chop a Sweet Potato into bite size pieces, lightly toss in oil and cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt & pepper and bake in the oven at 425 degrees fahrenheit for 30-40 mins, or until fork tender. Then top your soup with a large spoonful! Yum.